Introduction to Upper Eyelid Surgery
At our practice in Miami, upper eyelid surgery is one of our most common procedures. Double board-certified oculofacial plastic surgeon, Gregory D. Lewen, M.D., offers upper eyelid surgery—also known as upper blepharoplasty—for men and women in Miami, Aventura, Fort Lauderdale, and the surrounding areas of Florida. Dr. Lewen is an eyelid surgery expert, having completed extensive training in oculofacial plastic surgery. He’s one of only a few fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic surgeons in the metropolitan area.
Our patients feel that Dr. Lewen offers the best upper eyelid surgery in Miami and that this surgery adds great value and benefit to their lives. The first step is understanding the procedure and deciding if it is right for you. Below, we’ve included information about the surgery and answered frequently asked questions. If you would like more information, please give us a call or fill out a contact form. We look forward to meeting you!
What is Upper Eyelid Surgery?
Upper eyelid surgery or an “upper eyelid lift” is a surgery that can dramatically improve a tired or aged appearance by removing the excess skin and sculpting the tissue that causes droopy or heavy upper eyelids. This cosmetic procedure can brighten the appearance of your eyes and help to provide a more youthful, refreshed, and energetic presentation to your face.
What are the Common Reasons to get an Upper Blepharoplasty?
Looking your best is a very important part of maintaining your self-confidence and self-esteem. It has been scientifically proven that this can also have a major impact on your degree of personal success, your perception of personal happiness, and the quality of your personal and professional relationships. For many people, upper eyelid surgery is a safe and effective option to significantly improve the appearance of the upper eyelids. Below, we have included some common reasons to get the procedure:
- A common complaint from patients seeking this procedure is that they feel like their upper eyelids make them look older. Many patients will even say that they look older in the mirror than they feel inside.
- More commonly for women, some will express that they are unable to properly apply makeup to the upper eyelid area or that makeup will run or smudge after it is applied.
- Many patients will also say that they feel like they look tired.
- Some patients are very concerned about how this tired appearance can be perceived by other people, particularly in the workplace.
- At times, upper blepharoplasty can be needed for functional reasons, such as when an advanced amount of upper eyelid skin hangs over the eyelashes causing obstruction of vision. In such circumstances, upper eyelid surgery can be performed to improve vision and decrease the heaviness of the eyelids. If you have any functional concerns related to your eyelids, Dr. Lewen will be happy to discuss these during your cosmetic consultation.