IPL PhotoFacial in Miami, FL
Double board-certified oculofacial plastic surgeon, Gregory D. Lewen, M.D., offers IPL photofacial for men and women in Miami, Aventura, and the surrounding areas of Florida. Dr. Lewen is one of a select few plastic surgeons who specializes in plastic surgery of the eyes.
What is an IPL Photofacial?
IPL (intense pulsed light) is a breakthrough treatment that helps to restore the youthful appearance of the skin without injuring the skin’s surface. IPL works through a process called photorejuvenation to improve the appearance of such things as:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Sun-damaged (photoaged) skin
- Age spots (sun-induced freckles)
- Most benign brown pigment
- Persistent red complexion
- Red spots and blood vessels
- Acne scars, large pores, and other blemishes
Intense pulsed light produces a broad spectrum of light, which is transmitted through a small, smooth, transparent hand piece, and gently placed over the skin. Filters in the hand piece allow Dr. Lewen to treat a variety of conditions and skin types. Specific treatments are customized by Dr. Lewen to ensure your individual cosmetic goals are addressed. You will have a dramatic improvement in the texture and tone of your skin with little to no downtime.
What Are the Benefits of an IPL Photofacial?
IPL is ideal for treating the following:
- Erythema – Redness of the skin, caused by hypersensitivity of the capillaries in the lower layers of the skin. It occurs with any skin injury, infection, or inflammatory condition.
- Rosacea – A chronic skin condition involving inflammation of blood vessels in the cheeks, nose, chin, forehead, and/or eyelids. It may appear as redness, prominent spider-like blood vessels, swelling, or skin eruptions similar to acne.
- Pigment Spots – Brown or dark brown flat or raised spots on your skin. They are often a sign of past excessive and REPEATED sun exposure. People with darker skin tones and pregnant women with increased hormonal production are especially prone to pigment spots. Other major causes are unprotected and REPEATED exposure to sunlight and skin injury.
How is the IPL Photofacial Performed?
Dr. Lewen uses the Lumenis One Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) platform.
- Most advanced technology on the market today
- The only fourth-generation IPL machine available
- Able to ensure your treatments are most appropriate for your individual needs and complexion
- Offers substantial, yet gradual results with minimal downtime, and has a relatively low risk of side effects.
- Constant contact cooling system for better patient comfort levels during treatment
Intense pulsed light produces a broad spectrum of light, which is transmitted through a small, smooth, transparent hand piece, and gently placed over the skin. Filters in the hand piece allow Dr. Lewen to treat a variety of conditions and skin types. Specific treatments are customized by Dr. Lewen to ensure your individual cosmetic goals are addressed. You will have a dramatic improvement in the tone and appearance of your skin with little to no downtime.
Intense pulsed light is a relatively fast and easy procedure that usually has minimal associated downtime. On the day of your treatment, you will be escorted to the treatment room and review your treatment plan with Dr. Lewen and our experienced and friendly office staff. You will then be asked to sign a consent form for the specific procedure that you desire. If you are having a treatment on an area of your body that is typically covered, you will have the opportunity to change into a comfortable robe.
Next, a member of our office staff will then apply a numbing cream to the area that is being treated and you will be given a period of at least 20 to 30 minutes for the numbing cream to have its full effect. During this time, we will review the post-treatment instructions with you and you will be given ample opportunity to ask any additional questions that you may have regarding the treatment. After the area for treatment is good and numb, we will remove the numbing cream, and Dr. Lewen will then begin the treatment session.
The time for your treatment session will vary greatly depending on the area or areas that are being treated, your skin type, and the degree of pigmentation or redness that is being treated. Treatment sessions typically range from 15 to 30 minutes per area. After your treatment is completed, a staff member will carefully clean the area and apply a post-treatment cream, as well as a layer of sunscreen to the area before you leave the office. Follow-up appointment times can also vary depending on the area that is treated and the extent of your treatment.
What is the Recovery like After an IPL Photofacial?
IPL photofacial has been called the “lunchtime tune-up” by Marie Claire magazine due to the little down time associated with the procedure. With little to no downtime from this treatment, a patient can have an IPL performed, and easily return to work the very next day. Dr. Lewen typically recommends that patients start with a series of three to four treatments per area, spaced out approximately four to six weeks apart for superior results. He may also recommend maintenance treatments every six months to one year depending on the individual patient and condition that is treated.
How Much Does an IPL Photofacial Cost?
IPL photofacial is normally done in three sessions that are four weeks apart, and then once or twice a year for maintenance. We can discuss the cost of the treatment and our financing options after the consultation with Dr. Lewen.
Dr. Lewen is one of the few plastic surgeons in the Miami and Aventura, Florida area who specializes in plastic surgery of the eyes, including IPL photofacial. Contact us today to schedule a comprehensive consultation to learn more about our services.